Thursday, September 18, 2014

He was a true gentleman...

The headline and accompanying story was factual and straightforward as most death notices are.  It talked about his accomplishments, and the fact that he loved his family that surrounded him as he died.  It told his age at death, and where he had been living, and the fact that his last performance was September 7 on the stage of the Grand Ole' Opry that he loved so well.  It was a fine tribute to a fine, talented man.

The story that I would like to share is of those things about this man that caused the tears to flow gently down my cheeks as I took in the significance of this loss.  You see, George Hamilton IV was a true gentleman.  And I am fortunate as is almost everyone he ever met, to have called him my friend.

A group of "regulars" were sitting in the men's dressing room backstage in preparation for the annual ceilidh sponsored by the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games, when in walked a thin man with a beat-up guitar case and a smile.  The response given by those who'd already had an opportunity to get to know him was one of joy that he had simply entered the room.  He saw me, the one person in the room that he did not know, and stuck out his hand and said "You must be Ron.  I've heard you are a real fine singer.  I'm George the IV, and it is a pleasure to meet you."  That's how it was with George.  It seemed his every sentence contained a compliment for the person he was addressing.

Sharing the stage with George was a special experience.  We musicians are well-known for trying to one-up one another.  George began his section of each show complimenting those who had come before him, and ended by telling the audience what a treat they were in for as the show continued.  And you know, he really meant what he said.  He made us all better because he created, by his mere presence, such a feeling of camaraderie that we all felt like family.

As the weekend progressed, George and I spent a good deal of time talking together.  We shared our backgrounds and faith experiences.  His stories opened new horizons for me as I realized the depths of his own faith.  A deep and lasting bond was quickly developed.  And before the weekend had ended, George had invited me to bring our youth choir, Crossflame to sing with him at the Opry.  Everyone had so much fun, that George and the Opry invited us back again 4 years later.

Each time we shared the stage with him, he went to great lengths to praise the kids in our choir. We even had a small bluegrass ensemble that accompanied him during one of his songs during our second visit.  What a kick the kids got out of getting a banjo lesson from the great Ronni Stoneman.  Before, during and after the show, George spent much of his time introducing our kids to some of the biggest names in country music.

It was no surprise to us when the Country Music Association gave him an award for "Being the industry's best example of what it means to live a Christian life."  And it was also no surprise to us when George went to the trouble to join us the next day in a concert we were giving for a retirement community near Nashville.

So you see, in his death, I mourn the passing of more than the facts shared in a newspaper death notice. I lament the loss of a friend who was the kind of Christian I want to be.  The musical scene in heaven was enriched today as the rich baritone voice of George IV joined their choir.  And I can hear George now saying "I know you.  I hear you are a real fine singer…"

God bless you George.  God bless you...

No comments:

Post a Comment